Planned Power Outages

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Planned Power Outages

Postby mrfish » Wed May 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Two weeks notice is one thing, but this current outage came after a ONE DAY warning. There's no excuse for such incompetence. Is SCE run by complete morons? And why did they pick the hottest day so far this year? It's like they waited for the first hot day they could find and then sprang an outage on us. Anyone know a good lawyer who's good at class action lawsuits?
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Thu May 10, 2018 4:06 am

You will need a lawyer better than "good" to win anything against utilities companyfor shut downs.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Fri May 11, 2018 6:16 am

I agree with both mrfish and Sparky of SoCal. It's not likely that it is possible to prevail against a utility company on an issue like this, but that just increases the frustration that people feel. There's no excuse for giving less than two weeks notice in a situation like this. It shows a lack of consideration and competence. About all people can do is express displeasure and even that is a waste of time.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri May 11, 2018 7:17 am

Any idea on why we weren't provided a 2 week warning this time? I could see if it were some kind of emergency but then I would expect that we would get no warning at all. I suppose on the bright side, waiting another two weeks would lead us into an even hotter part of the year.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Fri May 11, 2018 7:27 am

The one thing that might happen by way of compensation is that if you can show that you experienced a material loss as a result of the outage, you might request reimbursement from SCE for your losses. One day is not even close to enough time to deal with the situation and many people did not even receive notices until after the beginning of the outage. The way this event was handled shows that there is systemic problems with the management of SCE, but the fact that they gave such short notice is pretty good indication that they will be willing to compensate people for their losses.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Fri May 11, 2018 8:34 am

Compensation For Losses: SCE set a precedent by giving about two weeks warning in the past. They failed to give adequate warning this time around. Therefore it stands to reason that they will compensate for material losses. Very few people actually experienced material losses and even fewer will bother filing for compensation. The company would be foolish not to pay for losses sustained by customers due to the outage and the failure to properly notify customers.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat May 12, 2018 6:32 am

I'm thinking that a one day notice to do it now rather than wait two weeks when it wold probably be hotter would have been a good decision if it had not been for a heat wave and am assuming the repair was something unexpected that couldn't wait till fall. Being so close to the last outage makes me believe that it was probably something that was overlooked or done wrong that should have been fixed back then.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Sat May 12, 2018 9:23 am

The 'duck curve' is solar energy's greatest challenge
Without some way to economically and efficiently store energy generated from solar, managing the grid is a really complicated task. Peak demand occurs during the hours that solar units produce no power.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dzrtdwg » Mon May 14, 2018 8:13 am

Duck Curve: That's interesting and it makes a ton of sense. What we need is highly efficient and affordable battery units. I've heard a battery unit that can store enough juice to get a normal family home through the night currently costs around twenty thousand dollars. Get that down to five and I think we're in business.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby surfsteve » Mon May 14, 2018 9:07 am

I guess right now conventional power takes place of the battery. At least for the home. If the stories about Tesla's wireless power transmission were true it would be possible to transmit solar electricity directly to cars, and if the distance were unlimited power from the sun could be transmitted wireless to dark parts of the earth. Till then we'll just have to deal with the power outages, which I imagine would be many times greater while trying to develop and perfect a system like that.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Local News