TJUSD Board Meeting - May 10, 2018

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - May 10, 2018

Postby wildrose » Mon May 28, 2018 6:10 am

Teen Sells High School On Craigslist
Funny prank. Administrative over-reaction.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue May 29, 2018 7:32 am

wildrose: That was a very creative prank. Not the best ever, but pretty funny. Too bad the people in charge at that school don't have a sense of humor. I could see giving the kid a single day of suspension, but anything beyond that is totally unreasonable.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Wed May 30, 2018 4:26 pm

Pre-schoolers Across U.S. Learn Reading, Writing and Active Shooter Training
Normalizing the threat of active shooters might not have great psychological effects on young children. The better approach is to make facilities as safe as possible and not involve children in drills until after they are at least fourteen years of age.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Thu May 31, 2018 8:28 pm

Damage to Tehachapi High School
This is not a prank. This is vandalism. Disgusting!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:26 am

Student banned from graduation for Craigslist prank ad
Humorlessness is a clear indication of low intelligence. School officials should be required to be intelligent!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:57 am

The Problem with "Learning Styles"
A lot of educational research is just crap designed to justify new curriculum which means that publishers get to sell more books and make a lot of money in the process. Every once in a while there's a legitimate study that debunks all the crap studies. One thing you can count on when it comes to educational research is that 99% of it is complete BS with the only purpose being to bolster sales for companies selling curricular garbage. But more to the point, this is a good article exposing an educational fad and it probably upsets a lot of people who worship bogus educational research studies.
Just because a notion is popular, however, doesn’t make it true. A recent review of the scientific literature on learning styles found scant evidence to clearly support the idea that outcomes are best when instructional techniques align with individuals’ learning styles. In fact, there are several studies that contradict this belief. It is clear that people have a strong sense of their own learning preferences (e.g., visual, kinesthetic, intuitive), but it is less clear that these preferences matter.

LINK: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-problem-with-learning-styles/
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby camel » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Man accused of making threats that canceled Sparta graduation arrested in Iowa
Any kind of large gathering makes me nervous nowadays. But large gatherings at schools make me especially anxious.
Police said most of the threats were made by text message over a period of several days. Sgt. Jason Pipkin says Sidie “threatened to die by suicide by cop. And he was going to do it at the graduation.”

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/crime/2018/05/28/man-accused-threats-canceled-wisconsin-graduation-arrested/649736002/
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby JanuaryJones » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:16 am

camel: Avoiding large gatherings has become almost second nature to me. Not only do I generally not like crowds, but all the news about random acts of violence has reduced my tolerance of crowds. Extra security should reduce the tension, but seeing law enforcement all over the place does the exact opposite. It just makes things worse.
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby wildrose » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:27 am

Terrifying Nursery Rhyme Will Give You Chills
Terrifying? Not really. Sad? Yes, but it's a reflection of the times, not the fault of the person who wrote the rhyme.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:00 am

France Bans Students From Using Phones at School
Well, duh!!! Of course students shouldn't be allowed to use phones at school. I'd take it up a notch and not even allow the phones at school since they can be put on vibrate mode so that drug deal appointments in the restroom can be kept. Metal detectors should have no problem detecting the presence of phones.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News