Freedom of Expression

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Tommy Robinson

Postby surfsteve » Thu May 31, 2018 10:14 am

Ben Shapiro is WRONG about Tommy Robinson
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:15 am

Freedom of Expression: There is an existing thread called Freedom of Expression. I'll confer with cactuspete about whether these posts should be moved to that thread. I don't see this issue gaining much traction. It has limited interest from what I can tell and I don't see this story having much of a shelf life either.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Tommy Robinson

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:50 pm

Seems like a freedom of speech issue, not one of expression. I guess we're lucky to even have a forum at all like this where we can pretty much say what we want. The way things are going forums like this days are numbered. Honestly I never even heard of Tommy Robinson before and I have no idea what he stands for but for him to be locked up for 13 months for reporting on a case in front of a court house sounds like something that our forefathers went to war against and now our generation has given it up without even a single shot being fired.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Freedom of Expression

Postby ergot » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:08 pm

What's the real difference between freedom of expression and freedom of speech or freedom of the press for that matter? And wasn't this Robinson thing in England anyways? I got this from Wikipedia:
According to Judge Heather Norton, "this is not about free speech, not about the freedom of the press, nor about legitimate journalism, and not about political correctness. It is about justice and ensuring that a trial can be carried out justly and fairly, it's about being innocent until proven guilty. It is about preserving the integrity of the jury to continue without people being intimidated or being affected by irresponsible and inaccurate 'reporting', if that's what it was".

Sounds like Robinson was violating the rights of the accused to me. I'm always irritated when the press posts pictures of people accused of crimes. People should have a right to privacy until they are actually convicted.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:11 am

Doctor sues patient $1 million over negative Yelp review
If what was said is true, then there should be no problem...
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:15 am

wildrose wrote:Freedom of Expression: There is an existing thread called Freedom of Expression. I'll confer with cactuspete about whether these posts should be moved to that thread. I don't see this issue gaining much traction. It has limited interest from what I can tell and I don't see this story having much of a shelf life either.

Didn't you also see Trump as a buffoon who didn't stand a chance of going anywhere?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:47 am

ergot wrote:What's the real difference between freedom of expression and freedom of speech or freedom of the press for that matter? And wasn't this Robinson thing in England anyways? I got this from Wikipedia:
According to Judge Heather Norton, "this is not about free speech, not about the freedom of the press, nor about legitimate journalism, and not about political correctness. It is about justice and ensuring that a trial can be carried out justly and fairly, it's about being innocent until proven guilty. It is about preserving the integrity of the jury to continue without people being intimidated or being affected by irresponsible and inaccurate 'reporting', if that's what it was".

Sounds like Robinson was violating the rights of the accused to me. I'm always irritated when the press posts pictures of people accused of crimes. People should have a right to privacy until they are actually convicted.

Freedom of the press falls under freedom of speech and is protected by the constitution. Freedom of expression was just assumed at the time the constitution was written.

Instead of sequestering the jury the judge ruled that the inconvenience of having to do so was more important than Tommy Robinson's freedom of speech or anyone else. Freedom of speech has been degraded to freedom of being politically correct expression. You are free to flip off a cop. Just don't do it with a cellphone in your hand because then the cop is free to shoot you. You are no longer free to report on the news as you see fit but you are free to report on issues you are allowed to talk about. You still have freedom of speech but if you use it in any other way than the government permits you will be doing it from a jail cell where no one can hear you. We no longer cut out anyone's tongue. That is barbaric and inefficient cause you'd still be able to type things out. Instead you'll be drugged senseless for your own protection, 'cause otherwise you might be able to pick up a cellphone, which could be mistaken for pointing a gun and get yourself killed...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:09 am

surfsteve wrote:
wildrose wrote:Freedom of Expression: There is an existing thread called Freedom of Expression. I'll confer with cactuspete about whether these posts should be moved to that thread. I don't see this issue gaining much traction. It has limited interest from what I can tell and I don't see this story having much of a shelf life either.

Didn't you also see Trump as a buffoon who didn't stand a chance of going anywhere?

I think most people recognize that Trump is a buffoon, but that he was the least objectionable of two horrible candidates. As for this Tommy Robinson issue, I still don't see this story blowing up into anything more than an obscure story about something going on in the UK. Also, it's one thing to cover a trial and it's quite another thing to provide personal info about a defendant. People on trial are under enough pressure without any additional threats being added as a result of the general public knowing what they look like and where they live. Vigilante justice should not be enabled.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:35 am

Dinesh D'Souza: My pardon is dangerous to left's ideology
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

The War On Tommy Robinson

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:45 am

Stefan Molyneux: The War On Tommy Robinson

As children, we are told that the law is objective, fair and moral. As we grow up, though, it becomes increasingly impossible to avoid the feeling that the actual law has little to do with the Platonic stories we were told as children. We begin to suspect that the law may in fact – or at least at times – be a coercive mechanism designed to protect the powerful, appease the aggressive, and bully the vulnerable.

The arrest of Tommy Robinson is a hammer-blow to the fragile base of people’s respect for British law. The reality that he could be grabbed off the street and thrown into a dangerous jail – in a matter of hours – is deeply shocking.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-05- ... y-robinson
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues