Racism and Hypersensitivity

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Racism and Hypersensitivity

Postby cactuspete » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:17 am

Muslim Turks Say Lego Star Wars Set is Racist
Accusations of racism gone too far! You hear about this kind of thing on a fairly regular basis. If it's not Muslims complaining about being portrayed as terrorists, then it's Native Americans objecting to the term "Indian" or for sports teams being named for something to do with Native American history. Enough with this over-sensitive BS already!!!
:roll2:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Racism and Hypersensitivity

Postby desertrat » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:27 am

Native Americans speak on sports imagery :smack:
You're not kidding about the Native American sports mascots thing being in the news often. I've heard about that "issue" for years and here's a report from just a month or so ago!
As the debate over the use of Native American imagery by sports teams continues to heat up, the discussion is particularly intense in our nation's capital, where there's a growing movement to change the local NFL team's name from a racial slur to something more palatable. Several Washington Post columnists have called for a name change; the Washington Redskins blog Hogs Haven also supports the name change.

LINK: http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/18144/native-americans-speak-on-sports-imagery
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:18 am

FRITO BANDITO COMMERCIAL
I remember a bunch of cry babies :cry2: whining over this commercial a few decades ago!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:19 pm

The bouncing Frito bag brings back old memories. For as long as I could talk I was asking my mom to teach me how to read and her answer was they will teach you when you go to school. Watching the bouncing ball at age 4 to the song Old McDonald, was the key to teaching myself how to read. Just a few short weeks later I was able to read big thick books on geology and biology and had special permission to use the adult library. I still remember my mom telling me I couldn't attend school till I was five years old, waking up on the morning of my 5th birthday and packing my lunch to get ready for school, only to find out that I had to wait till that September. From there on out it was one disappointment after another. I was so disappointed in kindergarten to find out that they didn't teach reading. But nothing pissed me off as much as having to read about Sally, Dick and Jane in the first grade and Dr. Seuss books. It seemed at the time as if somebody was intentionally trying to undermine the public education system.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:55 pm

Wow. I just found that video on Youtube! The fact that it's in black and white reveals a lot about my age. It even fits in quite nicely with the thread! I read in the wiki that the stove pipe scene was edited out in some productions of the film!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:41 pm

South Park - Wheel of Fortune - Naggers :dizzy:
It's only racist if you say it meaning to insult somebody!
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:53 am

I think that last South Park video clearly crosses the line of hypersensitivity into racism. I don't believe the two previous videos intentionally meant any harm, but the last one clearly had deliberate malintentions.

When I think about the Frito Bandito video; I imagine Holmer Simpson advertising a product called Ham Bits in the same role and I just don't see any racism what so ever in him playing the part of the Ham-Bit Bandit. Also if the stove pipe incident in the video I posted were reversed and say the singing lambs were covered in flour I don't see harm being done unless they were portrayed in some negative way while they were singing.

Speaking of Ham Bits brings up the memory of the Hamburglar character, used to advertise McDonalds hamburgers. What do you think would happen if the Hamburglar were black? It seems that would open up quite a can of worms.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:27 am

Racist Flintstones Episode :shrug:
If presenting racial stereotypes actually qualifies as racist, then I guess this clip sort of qualifies. However, the reality is that some people who speak English as a second language do speak with a heavy accent which is influenced by their native tongue. That's a reality and most of us have been in situations where we had difficulty understanding someone because of their accent. Making fun of such situations is not racist.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:31 am

Brad Paisley, LL Cool J Stand by 'Accidental Racist' Song
The results were interesting and well-intentioned and I suppose you can't blame them for trying, but I think it's fair to say that they missed the mark on this one. The song is about as good as the stuff produced by the Lou Reed and Metallica collaboration!
:down:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:36 am

I'm not a big country music fan, nor hip hop, but I wouldn't mind hearing the whole song to that one. It sounds interesting.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to News and Issues