Robots Taking Over

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: Robots Taking Over

Postby MojaveMike » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:33 am

There’s a big difference between a machine that displays “intelligent behavior,” no matter how useful that behavior is, and one that is actually intelligent.
Computers are really good at recognizing patterns and crunching statistical data, but they have no common sense. They can perform complex tasks, but they have no idea why the tasks are useful.
Could computers take over the world?
Not likely anytime soon.
The Great AI Paradox
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/609318/the-great-ai-paradox/
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:31 pm

I guess that depends on how you look at it. I'm pretty sure computers have already taken over the world. One might argue that a person's input is behind the computer but it's the computer that ultimately controls everything and often, though not through conscious decision, it does not function as it's programmer intended. Sometimes I wonder if even humans control their own thoughts. Some might say we were programmed by god and given free will; but can we really choose to do something that is beyond our programming capabilities beyond a malfunction?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BallaratBob » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:46 am

Activists fight to ban 'killer robots' around the world before it's too late
The urgency may be lacking, but these people are still out there protesting before it's too late!
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby ergot » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:17 pm

Boston Dynamics: New Robots Now Fight Back
I recommend watching this video all the way to the end.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:59 am

No wonder they want to take over. Everyone is so mean to them!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:51 pm

IBM: 120 million workers will need retraining due to robots
It's hard to tell here how much is ideologically bullshit and speculation and how much is for real. There's little doubt that artificial intelligence will have an impact on the job market, but it's almost impossible to say what that impact will be and how it will evolve over time.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby drdesert » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:21 am

shadylady wrote:IBM: 120 million workers will need retraining due to robots
It's hard to tell here how much is ideologically bullshit and speculation and how much is for real. There's little doubt that artificial intelligence will have an impact on the job market, but it's almost impossible to say what that impact will be and how it will evolve over time.

So, first of all keep in mind that this lady works in HUMAN RESOURCES. These people tend not to be terribly bright and they have a compulsion to over-emphasize "people skills" with every opportunity they get. These people do not see the big picture and they are selected for their tendency to be loyal to their employers (aka, they are ass kissers). They are very ideologically motivated and so anything they say is worth next to nothing. Secondly, tech companies are in a bind. They need extremely smart people to work for them, but they are in constant danger of having the rug pulled out from under them by those same extremely smart people. And for this reason they emphasize collaboration and working in teams. This forces extremely smart people to work with less intelligent people as if they are equals and this provides a bit of a safety net for tech companies. I could continue this rant for quite a few paragraphs, but I think I've provided enough insight into what is really going on in this little interview for insightful people to get the idea.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Re: HR People

Postby pcslim » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:12 am

drdesert: HR people might as well be robots. They are so programmed by the companies that they work for that they hardly seem human most of the time. They spout platitudes and follow directions and that's about it. As for their general intelligence, they are usually slightly smarter than the workers in most companies. Of course, that's not going to be the case in a tech company. BTW you hit the bull's eye in your appraisal of why companies push collaboration and group work. Otherwise the smart people form ad hoc groups as needed and only work with the other smart people. As a group they get way too much power this way. If they all quit at once, it's a disaster. By burdening smart people with less intelligent partners the smart people become isolated from one another and as a group and individually have much less power. Productivity is greatly reduced, but security is increased and big tech companies care more about security than innovation once they reach a certain critical mass.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby cactuspete » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:19 am

pcslim: More than a few times I've seen groups fail to accomplish anything for extended periods of time. I've also seen individuals working solo accomplish amazing things. But as you say, smart people who self-select and work together as needed is the way to go, but usually companies like a one-size-fits-all approach where square pegs are forced into round holes. There is no best way to do anything, but forced collaboration tends to be extremely inefficient.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Big Tech News Today!
"The product genius... gets rotted out" according to Steve Jobs when a company reaches a certain size (what pcslim called critical mass). That's when the bean counters and HR people take over and that's when they play it safe and push group work and structured collaboration instead of encouraging actual innovation which doesn't happen under politically correct highly controlled situations.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets