Aloe Vera

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Aloe Vera

Postby wildrose » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Is Aloe Effective for Blood Pressure, Inflammatory Bowel, Wound Healing and Burns?
It looks great in the garden and it can survive in the desert provided adequate water and sufficient shade, but is it actually good for anything?
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Aloe Vera

Postby CactusHugger » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:53 am

How to eat Aloe Vera
According to the comments, it doesn't taste good. Some compared it to soap and some said it tastes sweet. My guess is that it's better for growing as a plant in the yard for ornamental purposes than for eating.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:29 am

CactusHugger: Without a doubt it's a great outdoor plant for shady areas in the high desert. I'm not sure what it tastes like or if it's good for treating any health issues. What I do know is that a friend in California City recently had to cut back a patch of aloe vera. The stuff grows like crazy and after a few years can get over-grown under the right conditions.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby camel » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:12 am

panamint_patty: You're right in saying that this stuff grows like crazy under the right conditions. And those conditions don't require a lot of water. Just a moderate amount of water and afternoon shade seem to do the trick from what I can tell. I've seen several situations where a few small plants became huge clumps in less than a couple years.
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:29 am

camel: That's exactly correct. Give a few small plants the right conditions and a year or two and they'll take over a corner of your yard. You'll be needing to trim them back a year or two after that. The flowers are attractive and the plants can fill in an empty area quite nicely. Ideal plant for this area.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby camel » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:26 am

panamint_patty: It does require some trimming back from time to time, although if you control the water you can keep it from expanding into other areas. Even if it does get a bit out of control, it's fairly easy to dig up. There aren't a lot of plants that look so nice and do so well in Trona conditions and so it's definitely a good plant for this general area.
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby tronagirl » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:48 am

I've seen this plant at several homes of friends and I like it. The fact that it's so easy to grow is a huge plus. I've seen it used inside and outside and so it's obviously a very useful plant.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:37 am

A friend recently moved into a new house in Ridgecrest and her new backyard has a ton of aloe vera growing in it. All there is in the backyard are a couple large trees, some large bushes, a few cactuses, and a ton of aloe vera all over the place. It doesn't look half bad, but it might need a little selective reduction here and there!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:12 am

twister: That backyard probably looks really cool when the aloe vera is blooming. I've never seen anything more than a clump of a few plants in the corner of a yard or by a house. A large area filled with nothing but aloe vera would be neat to see!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shotgunmary » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:33 am

I've seen jugs of aloe vera juice for sale at stores before. I don't know what it tastes like or what it's good for, but if your friend has enough plants maybe she can start a business or something and make some money!
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Next

Return to Desert Gardening Tips