Common Core

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Common Core

Postby tronagirl » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:51 am

twister: I did some fact checking and it looks like you're right. Everything I found showed that common core is just a list of stuff kids should learn organized year by year from kindergarten to grade twelve. All of it makes sense and is reasonable, just like you say. The crazy stuff all comes from the companies that make textbooks and tests. All the fuss should be over what the companies are doing and not over common core. All the emphasis over standardized testing is really a waste of money. It's the companies that are messing things up and that's where the outrage should be focused.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:22 am

twister and tronagirl: I've talked to a few teacher friends and they all say that standardized testing is ruining public education. The craziness over Smarter Balanced is beyond simply insane. The company acts like you need a security clearance just to give the crappy test. Teachers have to sign a pledge not to share info about the test with anybody. And the craziness doesn't stop there, it turns out that the tests are given online and that they won't even work with the latest operating systems. It's like nutjobs and incompetent fools are in charge of the testing program. The public outrage should be on testing and any parent who allows their children to take the test is contributing to the problem.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Mon May 23, 2016 4:21 pm

Education is the Key
Here's a little propaganda promoting common core produced by the Gates Foundation: :roll2:
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:57 pm

9 Years Into Obama’s Common Core – Math Scores at 20 Year Low and Falling
No one has anything good to say about common core except for Obama and Gates groupies. All I've heard is complaints.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:19 am

Common Core is a cheap bandaid that only obscures the real problem. It's amazing that we don't just admit it, but living a lie seems to be what the USA does better than anyone else. Decades of welfare have incentivised stupid people to produce stupid babies. We now have generations of inbred stupidity and on top of that immigrants to this country are predominantly cognitively inferior. Schools can't cure stupid! When three-quarters of kids coming up through the system are genetically inferior, there's no miracle that can fix the problem. This country has got to take a long, cold look at a welfare system that has over the course of decades seriously lowered the average IQ nationwide.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:52 am

desertrat: That's not very nice, but diplomacy has never been your strength. I admire your willingness to say things the way you see them and you are often correct. I think you're right about welfare creating a situation where people with low IQs have more babies than people with high IQs. There's no doubt that the result of that trend is schools being hit with a higher percentage of students with cognitive deficits and that lower test scores are without a doubt the result of that. Teachers are more highly qualified now than ever before, but the students that they teach on average probably have greatly diminished IQ (on average) than was the case before the implementation of the welfare state.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:11 am

If you call out the results to Common Core you are questioning Mr. Obama because he pushed it. So, if you question Mr. Obama you are tagged a racist.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby MojaveMike » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:29 am

desertrat: As long as you brought up the white elephant in the room which no one wants to admit exists, I might as well add my two cents worth. The welfare state undoubtedly has brought about a situation where the stupid produce more offspring than do the highly intelligent. That is most definitely the reason why test scores have been steadily diminishing. Intelligence is genetically based and there is no amount of education that can change that reality. Many teachers I've talked to understand the underlying reality of the situation, but politicians fail to address the issue at all since it would be political suicide to do so. Political correctness stands in the way of the solution to this problem.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:55 pm

Maybe a conspiracy theory but the politicians know exactly what they are doings. Maybe the plan is to create a large part of the population as ignorant and easy to control with government handouts. Then maybe they someway groom another, smaller sector of the special diehards that will receive an education.
Maybe not just like that but you see where I'm going with it.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby drdesert » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:08 pm

BLM Teacher Breaks Down How Addition Is Racist
There is a very slim thread of truth to the idea that our number system and arithmetic algorithms are racist, but the argument is extremely weak. Here's what's true. Many primitive cultures never developed to the point where they had names for numbers before they came into contact with modern cultures. All modern cultures adopted the base ten system because it is very efficient and easy to work with. [As a side note, it's also true that many cultures -- particularly in Africa -- never invented the wheel and only learned about it as a result of coming into contact with modern Europeans.] Another important point to make is that people with high IQs tend to be good at math. In fact, math skills are the quickest and most reliable way of identifying a person of high intelligence, although there are exceptions to the rule, it is reliable most of the time. So, if you belong to a racial group with an average IQ which is lower than other racial groups, then it may SEEM like math is racist, but it's actually the case that math is just hard for people with low IQs. It's that simple.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Local News