The Dark Web

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: The Dark Web

Postby cactuspete » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:21 am

Shedding light on the dark web
The dangers outlined here are not unique to the Dark Web.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:27 am

Although illegal transactions don't generally occur on 4chan, pretty much anything else that people might consider disturbing can be found on 4chan in one way or the other. Maybe not as easy to find, but it's there if you look for it. Just be careful what you download.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:12 pm

From the TJUSD Board Meeting Thread for September 2019:
desertrat wrote:mrgreen: So, to use your term, brainlets are likely to be appalled by what they see on 4chan and so it's just as well that they are too stupid to figure out how to get onto the Dark Web. But it's fair to say that 4chan is sort of a watered down version of the Dark Web in certain ways. I recommend exploring the Dark Web only for those who are technically savvy and who have a strong sense of curiosity which is much stronger than their tendency to be morally judgmental. Brainlets tend not to be very curious and they tend to be highly judgmental and so brainlets need not apply.

That's about right. In my last post I should have stated that the Dark Web is more extreme than 4chan in many ways, but IMHO 4chan does provide a sampling of the kinds of things you're likely to see on the Dark Web. It's just that the Dark Web has much more content and some of it is more extreme. Also the Dark Web takes more effort....
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:14 am

I wouldn't say that I've spent a lot of time on the Dark Web or on 4chan, but I'm fairly familiar with both. Having a curious mind, I have never been shocked or amazed by what I've seen in either case, but I will say that it's likely that half of Americans would be deeply troubled by what they see on either, keeping in mind that 4chan is just a website and that the Deep Web is thousands of sites, although sites almost loses its normal meaning in this context since organizationally the Deep Web encompasses more than web-style sites. Much of it reminds me of newsgroups, which predated the www. At any rate, I agree that people of low intelligence tend to have a low tolerance for material which challenges their norms and that their curiosity is lacking, but it's just as well to be sure.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:54 am

How to find anything on the dark web
Sounds like nothing but trouble to me!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pcslim » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:22 am

sandman: There is trouble on the Deep or Dark Web, but there's also tons of interesting stuff that you'll find nowhere else. However, if you're going to explore the Dark Web you should use a spare computer, install the proper software, and make sure you do some studying before you start exploring. I recommend running Linux.... probably Debian, but there are a few others that might work although I'd stay away from Ubuntu.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby mrgreen » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:50 pm

Price Comparison: Dark Web
I'm sure most of this is just made up, but it's still entertaining in a somewhat morbid kind of way.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby MAGA » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:51 am

pcslim wrote:sandman: There is trouble on the Deep or Dark Web, but there's also tons of interesting stuff that you'll find nowhere else. However, if you're going to explore the Dark Web you should use a spare computer, install the proper software, and make sure you do some studying before you start exploring. I recommend running Linux.... probably Debian, but there are a few others that might work although I'd stay away from Ubuntu.

Good advice. I have an old computer for stuff like this. Never use a computer you use for financial transactions for exploring shady sites of any kind. That's like begging for trouble!
STOP THE STEAL
MAGA
Fleabitten Varmint

Previous

Return to Technology and Gadgets