TJUSD Board Meeting - April 11, 2019

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - April 11, 2019

Postby wildrose » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:28 am

surfsteve: She nails it over and over in this interview:
1) "This sort of insanity, the narcissistic victimology of these students thinking of themselves as oppressed at Yale is the height of delusion." (2:30)
2) Let's say that a student is preferentially admitted to MIT. She scored 650 on the math section of the SAT, while the majority of students scored 800. What's going to happen to that student? That student can either account for the situation in one of two ways: "I was admitted to a school for which I am not intellectually prepared or I'm in a rape culture. I'm surrounded by microaggressions and patriarchy." (12:45)
3) "Let's turn this back to race now. There's not a single selective college in the country that is not employing vast racial preferences to admit black students because the skills gap is so great. That's what's driving a lot of this victimology. Students are being brought in and they can't compete and they wind up blaming phantom racism for their intellectual and psychological difficulties." (13:00)
4) Typically black students complain: "Nobody chooses us for study groups and this is attributed to the bigotry of white students. The reason is and it's very sad, you've been admitted to a school for which you are not qualified." Which makes perfect sense. Studying with someone who has an IQ twenty to thirty points lower than yours is a waste of time. It turns into a tutoring session, not a study group session! (17:20)
I could go on and on and on... excellent interview!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:33 am

I actually watched the entire Heather MacDonald interview and I wish there were more people like her influencing the direction of our public schools from pre-school to grad school. She is in touch with the facts and doesn't just mouth liberal talking points. I really like the idea of a fact-driven discussion regarding public education and it seems like that's something that's forbidden in our society for some reason.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:28 am

But facts might hurt somebody's fee-wings! We can't have that. Oddly enough this whole mindset of disregarding the facts and just following an agenda regardless of how out of touch with reality it might be reminds me of an old song by the Talking Heads. Maybe I'll post it later when I have the time to look it up if someone else doesn't beat me to it!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:48 am

Thanks to surfsteve for posting the video and thanks to wildrose for perking my interest with those pithy quotes from the video! Excellent video all the way through. Not a dull moment. That lady understands our current situation as clearly as anybody I've heard from. Hopefully her influence grows!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:59 pm

You're all very welcome and thanks for the complements!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:43 pm

Crosseyed and Painless
Liberals hate facts. Their agenda falls apart and all their justifications dissolve into gibberish.
Facts are simple and facts are straight
Facts are lazy and facts are late
Facts all come with points of view
Facts don't do what I want them to
Facts just twist the truth around

shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Facts Just Twist The Truth Around

Postby a2z » Wed May 01, 2019 8:28 am

shadylady: I think both sides of the political spectrum have difficulty dealing with facts. Anyone who places their ideological fantasies above reality will always have difficulty with facts. Extremists of all kinds have difficulty with facts... however it's important to keep in mind sometimes entire populations get sucked into an ideological fantasy at which times those who are in touch with reality appear to be extremists. I think that's where we might get into a deep and difficult epistemological discussion and so I'll leave it at that.
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Epistemological Discussion

Postby wildrose » Thu May 02, 2019 8:32 am

a2z: The nature of reality is not as simple as it might seem as we often get caught up in life's illusions. That, of course, conjures up yet another song... about clouds.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Thu May 02, 2019 7:54 pm

wildrose wrote:a2z: The nature of reality is not as simple as it might seem as we often get caught up in life's illusions. That, of course, conjures up yet another song... about clouds.

Well, the key words seem to be: life's illusions clouds
Google came up with this and it seems to be a fitting song for the sentiments expressed:
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby ergot » Fri May 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Why the World’s Best Mathematicians Are Hoarding Chalk
Great thinkers can do a lot with just chalk and a chalkboard. Give idiots the best technology money can buy and it's just GIGO!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News