Humorous News Events

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Re: Humorous News Events

Postby cactuspete » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

shadylady wrote:
James Sel wrote:
surfsteve wrote:I don't get it. What makes you say the judge is incompetent or the prosecutor is a sleezball? I couldn't tell that from watching the video. Is there more to it somewhere?

X2 :?:

I think the first two posters were responding to the way the inmate displayed a certain moral authority which put both the judge and the prosecuting attorney on the defensive. If you forget for a moment the authoritarian/hierarchical structure of our society and expunge from your mind the roles each of those individuals is supposed to play in the courtroom, the clip is pretty funny and despite the enormous power differential the inmate does come off, IMHO, as looking morally superior to either of the two public officials, who, IMHO, failed to deal with the situation effectively because they assumed that the inmate would bend over backwards to kiss their sorry asses. But that's just my opinion and you're free to see the situation in any way that suits you.
:blah:

I think it's a matter of whether or not you tend to cheer for the underdog or if you assume that those in positions of authority deserve to be there. I tend to distrust authority a bit and I tend to cheer for the underdog and so I side with the inmate. At the same time, it's not fair to assume that the judge is incompetent or that the prosecutor is a sleezeball just from what we see in this clip. Sure, there are a lot of prosecutors who are sleezeballs and there are a lot of incompetent judges, but for all we know both of these individuals were playing by the rules and weren't being unfair to the inmate in any way. It may well be that they were just doing their jobs, but even in that case it's easy to see why the inmate might be a little frustrated since from his perspective the situation is unfair and for all we know he never committed a crime at all. Or else that he was accused of breaking a law which shouldn't exist in the first place! So, I guess I can see things either way, but I'm still cheering for the inmate!
:talk:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

White House Formally Turns Down Death Star Construction
Over 25,000 people signed a petition to build the famous "Star Wars" space base known as the Death Star! Sounds like a good idea to me!!! Why not build one?
:shrug:
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:37 am

Tupac-Inspired Alligator Discovered Guarding Weed Stash
Mr. Teeth taking care of business! Better than a guard dog, I'm sure!
:eek:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby mrfish » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Topless girls help police with speed control in Denmark!
Best idea ever to encourage people to obey the speed limit! Yankee ingenuity is nothing compared to this! We have SO MUCH to learn!!!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Thu May 02, 2013 7:20 am

Hong Kong harbor welcomes a giant rubber duck :pac:
As long as it doesn't multiply and become a giant flock of yellow duckies that fills up the harbor, then I guess this is just a fun little news story.
:bounce:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed May 15, 2013 8:00 am

Giant Hong Kong duck deflates
Not sure if this is humorous or tragic, but what the heck!!!
:conf2:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:47 pm

‘I didn’t expect it to go viral,’ Hunter Fisher tells RT after his name was changed by TV
What I don't understand is how they selected the wrong name!
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Previous

Return to Recreation and Entertainment