Perceptions of Trona

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Perceptions of Trona

Postby KissMyTail » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:12 am

tronagirl wrote:The 10 WORST CITIES in CALIFORNIA
Talk about kicking someone while they're down! What kind of scumbag trashes a town a few days following a natural disaster?!

So, the interesting part starts at about 9:30 into the video. Although the guy is slightly funny in a snarky kind of way, he manages to get a number of facts incorrect. So it's obvious that he's just listing cities as part of a comedy routine and that he didn't actually do much research or even visit the cities on his list. Here are some factual errors:
1) he says the chemical company dredged up the lake and this caused it become a dry lake
2) water polluted by toxic chemicals (water beneath lake was always toxic, but local springs are perfectly fine)
3) implies that area has an atypically large number of rattlesnakes
4) Trona is part of the Lucerne Valley (WTF?!!)
5) makes up a business called "Trona Realty" and calls that fictitious business
Although the little comments are funny, they are not accurate. It's hard to have much respect for someone who just makes up a bunch of crap for the sake of creating a popular YouTube video. I know the guy doesn't have time to do his homework, but it's wrong to misrepresent a town just for the sake of comedy.
KissMyTail
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby camel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:17 am

KissMyTail: Why make up fake things about Trona when there are plenty of true things about Trona which could be said. I'm not saying that Trona deserves to be on the list, but anyone who has been to Trona would have no problem listing a few negatives about the town. It's a nice place for several reasons, but there's no denying that it has its blemishes!
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby KissMyTail » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:31 am

California is home to 10 of the US' most miserable cities
Apparently Trona is too small to make the list, but a few of these cities were in the high desert, plus San Bernardino was on the list. This may be an RT video, but the list was compiled by Business Insider.
KissMyTail
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby pdm » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:17 am

MISERABLE CITIES: Trona has a lot of problems, but this RT report shows that the entire high desert has more than its share of issues and San Bernardino County as a whole is pretty obviously dysfunctional. Whether Trona is worse off than the rest of the region is hard to estimate. Then again it's fair to say that Trona is not exactly a paradise in the middle of all the squalor.
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:27 pm

Trona's Boom, Bust and Uncertain Future
Not a bad article. I'd give it a three on a five-point scale. Worth a quick read if you've got nothing better to do, but I wouldn't say that it's anywhere remotely near a must-read kind of thing!
Austin can pinpoint exactly when Trona’s most significant downturn began: in 1982, when the Kerr-McGee Corporation, which had taken control of local mining operations about 15 years prior, laid off around one-third of its employees, sparking a population drain. “Nobody else is here to hire them, there's nobody left to sell their house to,” says Austin. “The only thing they could do is pack up and leave.”

LINK: https://www.kcet.org/shows/earth-focus/tronas-boom-bust-and-uncertain-future-0
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shotgunmary » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:28 pm

Ry Cooder’s American West
I don't think anyone has posted this article published by the New York Times in November of 2008. The article is about an album by Ry Cooder and on that album is a song called "Little Trona Girl."
My last stop was Shakey’s stomping ground, the old borax mining town of Trona. It’s the worst place on earth, Mister Jalopy told me, semiseriously, citing its heat and remoteness on the edge of Death Valley, and the acrid smell from an old chemical plant. Recent newspaper coverage bore him out. The population has plunged from a steady 6,000 to 1,880 in the 2000 Census. Retirees and young people have been moving away; methamphetamine addicts, parolees and arsonists have been moving in.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/travel/23Cooder.html
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Re: LITTLE TRONA GIRL

Postby BallaratBob » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:48 am

LITTLE TRONA GIRL: That might be one of the weakest excuses for a song I've ever heard! I'd be embarrassed to publish or perform something like that. Even if the guitar playing is pretty good, the song is complete crap. I suppose you had to post it since it has to do with Trona, but it's gotta be one of the worst songs I've ever heard!
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby CrustyOldFart » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:39 am

I heard a rumor that the Burroughs marching band participated in the Home Coming Parade here in Trona. If they sent their entire marching band, then it might be possible that they had more BHS kids in the parade than there were THS kids in the parade. That would be a little strange, but in any case I wasn't able to attend and so I would just like confirmation that the rumor is true or that it isn't. Either way. Whatever.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:22 am

Crusty: Not meaning to spread any rumors, but I had a conversation with a couple of local conspiracy theorists and they believe that all this cavorting with BHS is part of a plan to get locals to accept that THS will be closed and students sent to BHS starting as soon as January. Like I said I think this is paranoid speculation, but sometimes these crazy theories turn out to be true! My sources said they had talked to someone who would know what's going on and so who knows what's really going on?!!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:43 am

RUMORS: There's no shortage of people spreading stupid rumors. There has been speculation about closing the high school and busing kids to Ridgecrest for more than twenty years. Has it happened? Nope. Nuff said.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News