COSO

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

COSO

Postby sandman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:26 am

Does anyone have any info on when tours of the Coso petroglyphs will be offered? Do I need to contact the navy base directly or is there a community organization that runs the tours? Is there any way of just going out there with an individual pass?
:4x4:
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Re: COSO

Postby James Sel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:07 pm

I'm thinking it is organized by Maturango Museum in R/C.
http://www.maturango.org/petroglyyphtourinfo.html

Yep they are.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby sandman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:17 am

Coso Rock Art Tours
This page contains a lot of info about the rock art found in the Coso Range. It also has contact info for how to visit the area.
The Coso region, located within the Naval Air Weapons Station (NAWS) China Lake, in the desert of interior southern California, is home to some of the most spectacular displays of Native American rock art anywhere on the continent.

LINK: http://www.farwestern.com/rockart/
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:29 pm

The Rock Art Engravings of the Coso Range
This page has a lot of info about the Coso petroglyphs.
In a 90 square-mile area of eastern California, 35,000 petroglyphs have been formally recorded. A conservative estimate suggests an excess of 100,000. Why was this area, now known as the Coso Range, adorned with such a concentration of strikingly beautiful and highly consistent rock engravings, predominantly those of bighorn sheep?

LINK: http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/coso/
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:44 am

I noticed at the link listed above for the Maturango Museum that they offer school tours. It would be really neat if local school kids could go on a petroglyph tour. Anyone know if the schools here in Trona have ever taken advantage of this opportunity? Of course, whatever grade wound up going would have to be a grade with kids over the age of ten. Apparently the don't want little kids wiping their dirty hands all over the rock art!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:24 am

I'm not aware of the school taking advantage of this opportunity. It sure would be a great experience for the students. Not only would they learn something about something of historical significance, they'd also do a little hiking and get some exercise as a result. Some of the kids spend way too much time playing video games and could use some exercise!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:51 am

Looking around the dvplants.com website I came across this:
Thumbnail Image
Coso Wilderness (May 2012)
I do believe that's the facility located on Coso Peak (8,160 feet) located inside Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake. I wonder how Mr. Blackturtle.us got close enough to take the picture... Hmmm....
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:15 pm

MojaveMike wrote:I do believe that's the facility located on Coso Peak (8,160 feet) located inside Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake. I wonder how Mr. Blackturtle.us got close enough to take the picture... Hmmm....

I was just north of the boundary (which happens to be unmarked) at an elevation of about 7500 feet. I do my best to stay out of military land although sometimes I do wander in a little ways as a result of a lack of boundary markers.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue May 05, 2015 8:41 am

Back in the day I wandered in pretty far onto the bases around here on several occasions. It been a few years since I've been up to that sort of exploring, but blackturtle's right. Most of the boundaries aren't marked at all. You can get a couple miles in and not realize it unless you check the map carefully at several junctures around the perimeter of the local bases.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Wed May 27, 2015 7:36 am

I heard something about the base or the museum training people to lead petroglyph tours. I'm not sure what it takes to qualify, but it sounds like a good opportunity to be able to visit the Coso area on a regular basis.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Return to Hiking and Exploring