Drone Wars

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: Drone Wars

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:46 am

tronagirl: I think if you're tastes have been shaped by what's popular on the radio and what's shown on TV, then you might have a hard time appreciating amateur music. But if you have spent a lot of time around amateur musicians and listen to people playing on campouts or families at get togethers, then you develop an ability to enjoy music that isn't what you'd call commercial and what I'd call fake and phoney.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:44 am

California to require warrants for drone surveillance
California is often criticized for having too many regulations. Well, this is one regulation that I think is a damn good idea!
:thumb:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Drones

Postby cactuspete » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:01 am

Reasons you shouldn't buy a drone
Actually I think that it would be fun to play around with quadcopters and that sort of thing. I'm not quite ready to shell out the bucks for one though and here are five more reasons I'll probably not bother purchasing a drone at least anytime in the near future.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:12 am

Amazon. Facebook. Now Google drones?
Sigh. :roll2:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BallaratBob » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:21 am

Introducing Project Wing
This just isn't all that exciting, but Google seems to be excited by this so-called innovation. However, I see it as a recreational opportunity that's more fun that shooting skeet!
:laugh:
That said, it probably is not economically feasible:
There's 1 big reason why all these delivery drone ideas will never become commercially viable, fuel costs.

It takes fuel to lift weight off the ground, even more fuel then cars and trucks use, which only use fuel to go forward on the ground. Cars and trucks don't lose fuel fighting against the earth's gravity.

Worse yet, the heavier the load you're lifting, the more fuel the drones will burn. Not to mention the drones have to lift their own weight to. And the drones themselves might be quite expensive to.

But then there's this BS about what they call a sharing economy:
“It would help move us from an ownership society to an access society. We would have more of a community feel to the things in our lives,” Teller preached. “And what if we could do that and lower the noise pollution and lower the carbon footprint, while we improve the safety of having these things come to you?

It's hard to say if this sort of thing would result in a more efficient use of resources or not...
LINK: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140828/16422628355/interesting-thing-about-googles-deliver-drones-is-not-drones-massive-societal-shift-they-envision.shtml
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:43 pm

Anyone can fly this drone
I never heard of a "gimbal" before this clip. If you aren't familiar with this word, then you might want to watch this clip...
:shrug:
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby dingleberry » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:37 am

CactusHugger: Just imagine what will happen if drone wars become personal battles between regular people. Squabbles between neighbors could get especially nasty. Spying on the ex could become a bit more intense. There's no end to the creatively devious uses that these drones can be put to!
dingleberry
Greenhorn

Postby shadylady » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:59 am

dingleberry: Eventually there will be a murder by drone and when that happens there will probably be a bunch of laws made requiring drones to be registered like guns. Like you say there's no end to the creatively devious ways people could use drones. I'm sure a few will be quite surprising!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:50 am

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby alf » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:11 am

The US Wants Everyone To Register Their Drones
This is probably a good idea. I can see drones being a big problem if they become too popular.
ALF = Alien Life Form
alf
Greenhorn

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets