Frozen Plants

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Frozen Plants

Postby CactusHugger » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:51 am

I planted some succulents in pots on my patio a few months ago and they all froze this week. Is there any chance that they'll come back to life when it warms up or am I S.O.L.?
:puzzled:
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Frozen Plants

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:17 am

Daphne Richards frozen plants: Central Texas Gardener
Here's some advice pertaining to plants damaged by cold water.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildbill » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:07 am

Calif. citrus crop threatened by freezing temperatures
This doesn't sound good. You (cactushugger) may have lost a few patio plants, but citrus farmers are looking at losing half their crop. Not only will it hit them where it hurts the most (the wallet), but it will also hit us consumers pretty hard in the form of increased prices for orange juice and that sort of thing. Someone must have angered Father Frost!
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby tronagirl » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:22 am

You snooze, you lose! All you had to do was carry those pots into your house from off the patio and you wouldn't have had a problem. Hopefully you'll remember this lesson so next time you won't leave innocent plants out in the cold to freeze to death!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:33 am

Sometimes covering plants on cold nights helps and sometimes that's not enough. Other things that help are putting a lot of mulch around the base of the plant and then placing black plastic tarps over that. Also be sure not to water any more than is absolutely necessary. After you've done all you can do all you can do is hope for the best!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:28 am

Looks like there won't be any freezing nights from now until the end of the year. I checked the forecast and although it gets down into the 30s each night until the end of the month, there is nothing that gets down to freezing. I can't imagine a freeze hitting in February, but I suppose it is possible, just very unlikely!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:17 am

UPDATE: There is one night in the forecast for the next ten days that is supposed to hit 31 degrees. Technically that's freezing, but if it only hits 31 for an hour or so most plants won't be bothered and by this time any plant that was going to have a problem has already been damaged!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CactusHugger » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:40 am

With the weather we had to day I'd say that it's safe to say that we won't be having to worry about frozen plants for at least nine or ten months! In fact, it's safe to predict hot weather is on the way!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:16 am

Looks like a few nights may drop below freezing during the next week or so. It's been a mild winter and even this next week it's supposed to go only a few degrees below freezing and so plant casualties may be minimal. Just the same make sure your outdoor water spigots are insulated and be sure to protect cold-sensitive plants. Other than that, do your best to say nice and warm!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:53 am

tronagirl: I saw ice a couple mornings and a few plants in my yard were hurt by the freeze. A couple friends report more or less the same. Some plants were affected and others weren't. The trick about living in Trona is finding plants that can survive both the summer and the winter. It's a land of extremes is what they always say and that's pretty much what it is!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to Desert Gardening Tips