Cyberattack Threat

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: Cyberattack Threat

Postby mrfish » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:40 am

Rep. Mike Rogers, On His Way Out Of Congress, Slams Obama For Not Launching Premature Cyberwar Against North Korea
This is not an issue that the government should get involved in. Period. This is an issue between a private company and whoever hacked their computers. I'm not seeing the big deal here. So what if Sony got hacked? So what if they did or didn't lose money? It's their fricking problem!!! At this point there's no proof that North Korea had anything to do with it and if they did, who cares?!!
Third, can we just get over this ridiculous idea that a hack of one company, which may or may not have been by actors working for a government, is an act of either "terrorism" or "war." It's not. It's a hack. Tons of companies get hacked every day. Some have good security and still get hacked. Some, like Sony, appear to have terrible security and get hacked very easily. It's not terrorism. It's not war. It's a hack. We shouldn't be talking about retaliation or destroying countries over a hack. We should be talking about better security.

LINK:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20141221/07453029494/rep-mike-rogers-his-way-out-congress-slams-obama-not-going-to-cyberwar-against-north-korea.shtml
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:48 am

SONY HACK: False Flag to Pass Internet Censorship Bill
This guy basically just reiterates the ideas already shared in this thread. It's good that there are guys like this to spread the word since big media is telling a very different story.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:56 am

Sony Hack, The Geek Squad Responds
Moderately funny, but it should be stressed that anti-virus software is worthless when it comes to protecting against most anything that real hackers are likely to employ.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby cactuspete » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:15 am

FOR FREE: The Interview :roll2:
Not sure if this would be worth your time, but you can watch it for free on YouTube! No view count given, but there are about 60k thumbs up votes and about 10k thumbs down votes.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:47 am

cactuspete wrote:FOR FREE: The Interview :roll2:
Not sure if this would be worth your time, but you can watch it for free on YouTube! No view count given, but there are about 60k thumbs up votes and about 10k thumbs down votes.

You must have not noticed that they want $5.99 for you to watch their crappy movie! The preview must have started before you saw the price and you probably didn't make it through the preview. If the movie were being offered for free, then I'd conclude that maybe the Sony hack wasn't a hoax. However, with a ridiculously high price like $5.99 there's no escaping the conclusion that it was JUST A BIG PUBLICITY STUNT! Anyone paying $5.99 to watch the movie is a mindless moron!
:poop:
BTW, now instead of thumbs up and thumbs down, they're showing a view count instead.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:50 am

I watched it last night. It would have been lame had it not been for all the controversy surrounding the film. The film is very popular in torrent form if you can download or get someone to teach you how to download using torrents without getting malware or a virus. I haven't found any copies on youtube or google video yet that haven't been taken down already.

http://io9.com/the-interview-only-a-bad ... 1675185807
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:56 am

Sony Releases The Interview as Result of Covert U.S. Intelligence Operation
This guy seems to believe every conspiracy theory ever created, but he's at least partially correct about this Sony situation. I doubt that the government or even Sony actually instigated the hack and I'm even more doubtful that North Korea had anything to do with it. What I think is that this Lizard Squad is a bunch of hackers who may or may not be loosely affiliated with the government or corporate interests and that they were just having fun or doing it for the LULZ as they say. Sony and the government just hyped the event and milked it for everything it's worth with three objectives:
1) Increase online consumption of newly released movies at ridiculously high prices
2) Gain support for agenda to regulate internet
3) Hype their crappy movie
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:27 am

Cyber Attacker: Why I Took Down Xbox and PlayStation
This is an interview with a guy who allegedly is a member of this Lizard Squad group. I like the answer he gives when he's asked if he feels guilty!
:funny:
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:15 am

Was Sony hack attack an inside job?
The claims here seem more like an attempt to whitewash what really happened than anything worth believing. I'm convinced that this whole hackathon was instigated by Sony, not just a former employee. It's pretty obvious at this point that North Korea had nothing to do with the actual hack and rather than just come out and admit that Sony designed the whole thing as a publicity stunt, the new narrative is to assert that it was a former employee or the hacking community in general and that North Korea only became involved after the fact.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:34 pm

In Another Meaningless Gesture, Administration Smacks North Korea With Sanctions Over Sony Hack
Like most politicians, Obama likes to pretend to do something about something. The hack of Sony falls into the category of Who-Gives-A-Fuck as far as I'm concerned, but Obama is getting up on his soapbox and pretending that it's a big deal for some reason!
:roll2:
Even if the administration is privy to information that definitively indicates North Korea's involvement, why is it throwing its weight behind an incident that was more embarrassing than damaging? Countless American businesses have been hacked over the past several years, leaving millions of Americans' personal information exposed… and little to no response from the US government. But spring loose a few thousand internal emails dealing with celebrity squabbling, MPAA/state AG collusion and other internal issues, and suddenly, it's time for America to go to (cyber)war.

LINK:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150102/14391029581/another-meaningless-gesture-administration-smacks-north-korea-with-sanctions-over-sony-hack.shtml
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets