Healthy Habits

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Re: Healthy Habits

Postby surfsteve » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:55 am

panamint_patty wrote:Beast Burger Packs Both Flavor and Nutrients in One Patty
No meat, but plenty of protein and other nutrients. I suppose "Beast Burger" sounds better than Veggie Burger, but that's basically what we're talking about here!
:roll2:

This is nothing more than a slightly modified, artificially flavored, chemically fortified falafel burger that folks have been serving up before any of us were even born!

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1067& ... a6mVK9A3nk
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Beast Burger

Postby James Sel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:04 am

jarhead wrote:James Sel: What's the matter? Sounds like you're some kind of treehugger or something! Vegetarian hippie treehuggers should all be herded up and sent off to a big commune out in the middle of some nuclear test site in Nevada somewhere. They're all a waste of oxygen!

WTF is wrong with trees?
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:50 am

The easiest way to develop healthy habits in my opinion is to make everything yourself from scratch using only natural ingredients. Switching from soda to "fresh squeezed" bottled orange juice did nothing for my health but making juice from fruit I bought has made a huge difference. So has switching from margarine to butter and coconut oil, from coffee mate to real cream and from replacing MSG aka "natural flavorings" with real spices like unprocessed sea salt, red and black pepper, oregano, curry, raw garlic, cilantro and herbs. I also never noticed much of a difference by taking pro-biotic pills or powders but noticed a huge difference when I started fermenting my own vegetables from scratch instead. The only thing I do eat a lot of is canned vegetables. Mixed mustard and turnip greens are my favorite. I like to eat them right out of the can like Popeye, except I use a fork. I never noticed any increase in strength or endurance from canned spinach but do from mixed greens. I also don't believe meat in moderation is bad for you. Having been a vegetarian for over 15 years I can honestly say I feel better when I eat a little meat which I have now for more than the last 20 years. Cutting down on carbohydrates, especially bread and sugar seems to work better for my health than eliminating meat. I also eat all the salt and cholesterol I want and drink only pure ion filtered water.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Popular Paleo Diet Becomes Way of Life for Some :popcorn:
I think it's a good idea to eat more raw and unprocessed foods, but this diet is too extreme for me!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:17 am

I actually tried a pair of those five toed boots for windsurfing. A few surfers use them but they make it extremely difficult to get your feet in and out of the foot straps on a windsurfing board. Not a good idea. Also. I'm pretty sure cave men never wore them! I think the paleo diet is too extreme even though it comprises most of my diet. Real paleos had it pretty rough. They ate a lot of insects. They didn't buy beef and chicken from the store but I'm all in agreement when it comes to getting off processed foods. I will eat food loaded with salt and spices over chemicals any day. The secret to making food healthy and taste good is coconut oil. I don't see anything wrong with animal fats either. In nature the animals that live the longest are the ones that eat the most fat. None of them ever ate hydrogenated fats. That is something that was created in a laboratory.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Caveman Diet

Postby BoraxBill » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:51 am

I've got nothing against this caveman diet fad, but it's just another one of those extreme diets that contain a few good ideas mixed in with a bunch of bad ideas. Eat more fresh stuff and try to avoid overly processed foods, but keep in mind that raw foods are sometimes contaminated and that some foods are actually more nutritious when they are cooked. That's my two cents on the topic... thank you for reading! LOL
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Re: Caveman Diet

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:36 am

BoraxBill: I probably agree for the most part with eveything you wrote. Fresh is good and overly processed is bad, but there's nothing wrong with including a variety of food types in your diet. Raw is not always going to equate to healthy for a number of reasons including those you mention. Any dogmatic way of looking at the world is going to lead to an extremist viewpoint and moderation is generally the best way to go in most cases.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Too much sitting is worse than being obese
Get up and move around at least once every 20 or 30 minutes and avoid sitting for long periods of time whenever possible! Try standing and working on a computer or watching TV instead of just sitting.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:55 am

Why am I paying $10 for juice!? :ack:
This might be a tasty, but expensive way to get some extra veggies in the diet. I'm not rushing out to buy any though!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:49 pm

I used to juice my own vegetables till it got too expensive. Even if you make it yourself it still takes over 3 dollars worth of vegetables to make that much juice. Now I just eat them. The fiber is one of the best parts anyway.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Recreation and Entertainment