End Tax Exempt Status for Churches

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: End Tax Exempt Status for Churches

Postby shadylady » Wed May 01, 2013 7:17 am

Gay Teens Killed and Tortured in 'Conversion' Camps :curse:
Hopefully the monsters who ran that camp get life for what they did, but the bigger question pertains to the stupidity of religious zealots who condemn people and think in the first place that any kind of conversion therapy is necessary. Some of the comments left to this video are pretty good:
Can we start conversion camps to un-retard christians?

Indeed, that would make more sense than having gay conversion camps!
I keep my copy of the Bible and Qur'an in my bathroom. Comes in handy if I run out of toilet paper.

Definitely, that's about all they're good for!

Christians place a Bible in every hotel/motel room, hold signs up on street corners, have churches on almost every corner, insist "GOD" be on the money, and knock on the doors of strangers to spread the "good word".

Tell me about the gay agenda again........

This entire nation is held hostage by the religious nuts who want to shove their religion down our throats and on top of that they get a tax exemption for torturing us with their stupid religious beliefs. The rest of us need to rise up and insist that this sorry situation be fixed!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sat May 04, 2013 7:56 am

shadylady wrote:This entire nation is held hostage by the religious nuts who want to shove their religion down our throats and on top of that they get a tax exemption for torturing us with their stupid religious beliefs. The rest of us need to rise up and insist that this sorry situation be fixed!

Good point, but I just don't see a bunch of atheists getting together and getting anything done. It's more likely that atheist organizations will want to join in on the fun and gain tax exempt status for themselves than that they would fight to end tax exempt status for religious organizations. I agree that religious organizations are basically just businesses and that they should pay taxes just like any other business since they promote their own interests as opposed to provide some kind of social benefit or valuable charity work, but I don't see reform happening any time soon. But great idea just the same!
:popcorn:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby desertrat » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:05 am

Yoga Makes Satan 'Fill You Up' Says Anti-Gay Politician
By not taxing idiots like this we are actually subsidizing their activities! How stupid is that?
:wtf:
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:08 am

Pat Robertson Attacks... Dungeons and Dragons?!
I think that Pat Robertson is only 20 or 30 years too late on the D&D reference! :laugh:
I'm pretty sure that he's senile! But this just further underscores why religions should not be subsidized by the state. You get crazy whacked out stuff like this that doesn't help anyone, but makes scumbags like Pat Robertson rich! And let's be clear and honest here: Granting organizations tax-exempt status is just a backdoor way of subsidizing them!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:31 am

Is The Bible Fiction?
Well, it is fiction! Doesn't the store have an obligation to label a product accurately? Just saying...
:roll2:
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:41 am

BIBLE FICTION? Well, yes, but it is politically incorrect to say so. Just like you're supposed to be tolerant of any other special interest group, you're also supposed to be tolerant of people who believe in different religions and this includes pretending that their religious scriptures are worthy of respect, which, obviously, they're not!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:26 am

Pat Robertson Defends Separation Of Church And Taxes
Organizations that push a political agenda are not supposed to get any kind of tax exemption. Pat Robertson pushes political causes all the time and yes he is getting a government handout by way of his organization not being required to pay taxes! Total hypocrite!!!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:47 am

wildrose: I agree that people like Pat Robertson and other television evangelists give Christianity a bad name and that preachers shouldn't be preaching politics during church meetings, but in general I support the tax exempt status of churches. Religious organizations do a lot of charity work and are a huge force for good. There are bad apples in any barrel, but it's wrong to punish the whole group for the bad actions of a few.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby recluse » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:32 pm

Will Churches Lose Their Tax-Exempt Status in the Wake of the Supreme Court’s Gay Marriage Ruling?
The answer is probably not although they probably should. The law more or less makes any organization that opposes gay rights a hate group. No one would expect the KKK to have a tax exemption and so why should traditional churches which oppose gay marriage have such status? I'm not arguing one way or the other, but the logical conclusion is hard to deny.
The dust had barely settled on the Supreme Court’s gay marriage ruling before some critics began ramping up suggestions that churches that are theologically opposed to gay marriage deserve to lose their tax-exempt status — a proposal that conservative attorneys and a charitable giving expert patently dismissed in separate statements to TheBlaze this week.

LINK: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/07/03/will-churches-lose-tax-exempt-status-in-the-wake-of-the-supreme-courts-gay-marriage-ruling/
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:24 am

recluse: If a group opposes the law of the land, then it can be argued that they are a hate group or a terrorist group if they threaten to resort to violence. However, religious groups have opposed abortion for years and retain tax exempt status and so I don't see this situation as all that different. It could be argued that they support discrimination against actual people, which is different, but as long as they keep it peaceful and lawful, there shouldn't be a problem.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues