Frozen Plants

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Frozen Plants

Postby tronagirl » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:47 am

The cold weather is back. Friends in Ridgecrest said they actually had a thin layer of ice form on water bowls for backyard pets. Get ready for a cold three months. I don't know how bad it's going to be, but it could be both wet and cold with the El Nino rolling through! Burrrr!!!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:11 am

tronagirl: It's like one extreme to the other around this place. Boiling hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter and hardly any in between. How'd I wind up in a god-forsaken place like this?
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby deathvalleyjake » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:34 am

twister: Actually I think that a lot of people who wind up in Trona ask themselves that same question from time to time. Not everyone enjoys living in the desert and most people prefer to live in some kind of area with more in the way of goods, services, and recreational opportunities. Trona is a great place for certain kinds of people, but it's not for everyone. And as long as the topic is plants, it's not a great place for most types of plants! Like you say, either the summers are too hot or the winters are too cold for the vast majority of plant species.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CoolChick » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:01 pm

Protecting your plants in this frigid Sacramento weather
A couple good ideas shared that might help keep your plants from freezing to death!
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby twister » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:26 am

I must not be getting up early enough because I still haven't seen any ice. I'm pretty sure it dropped below freezing the last two nights and so I'd expect to see some ice crystals at least, but so far nothing. My furnace sure has been working hard and so I know it's cold out there. There's no doubt about it.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:57 am

twister: No ice have I seen either. Not sure, but I've heard that El Nino years tend to be warmer albeit wetter. It's tropical moisture coming from down past Baja California and so it's bound to be warmer than moisture coming from up north.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:57 am

tronagirl: I actually saw a little ice yesterday morning, but it was very thin and only on the north side of the house. It might not be getting quite as cold this year, like you say, because of the El Nino factor, but we still haven't seen much rain.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby ergot » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:08 am

El Niño is back. Here's how it works.
Like the title says, here's how it works.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:34 am

Hopefully the last sub-freezing nighttime temperature is past and over and gone until next December. I won't miss it even during the hottest part of summer. Being too cold is worse than being too hot, but neither is good which is why pretty much everybody has heaters and coolers in their domiciles and vehicles! ;)
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:29 am

It's that time of the year again! December is here and the nights might get a little cold! I don't think the temperature has dropped below freezing yet, but it might not be a bad idea to cover some plants up with mulch or other forms of protection.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Desert Gardening Tips