Saline Valley Hot Springs

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Saline Valley Hot Springs

Postby mrfish » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:41 am

DEAD PRESIDENTS HOLIDAY WEEKENDS: I wonder if this latest storm will impede traffic into Saline Valley from the north and/or from the south. It looks like the Panamints got hit pretty hard and so I'm sure further north it was probably even worse. Could put a damper on the festivities these next couple weekends!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sierra_jim » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:31 am

mrfish: North Pass is likely to be impassable and South Pass could also be in extremely bad shape. Lippencott is likely to be about the same as usual and then there's always Steal Pass. I'm not sure if the runway is in shape for someone to land or not. My prognosis is that the Hot Springs will not be crowded this weekend.
sierra_jim
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby sandman » Mon May 09, 2016 8:26 am

Anyone been over North Pass or South Pass lately. I've seen fresh snow on Telescope twice in the last week, but I'm not sure how low the snow would be from these storms or how long any snow would last at moderate elevations. Not that I'm planning on driving out to Saline Valley soon, but I figure it will be heating up out there by the end of the month and so there's not a lot of time for people to get out there while it's still pleasant.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Tue May 10, 2016 8:14 am

sandman: What I heard was that there was some slush, but it didn't last long. Melted within hours and was never an obstruction of any kind. There is a slight detour south of North Pass, but most 4wd vehicles should have no problem. Lippincot and Steele Passes are in normal condition reportedly.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CactusHugger » Fri May 27, 2016 7:49 pm

sandman wrote:Anyone been over North Pass or South Pass lately. I've seen fresh snow on Telescope twice in the last week, but I'm not sure how low the snow would be from these storms or how long any snow would last at moderate elevations. Not that I'm planning on driving out to Saline Valley soon, but I figure it will be heating up out there by the end of the month and so there's not a lot of time for people to get out there while it's still pleasant.

sandman wrote:sandman: What I heard was that there was some slush, but it didn't last long. Melted within hours and was never an obstruction of any kind. There is a slight detour south of North Pass, but most 4wd vehicles should have no problem. Lippincot and Steele Passes are in normal condition reportedly.

You must be pretty lonesome if it's gotten to the point where you're answering your own questions! ;)
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:32 am

CactusHugger: Right, well I found out somewhere else and thought I'd pass the info along in case anyone else was interested!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CactusHugger » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:41 am

Saline Valley Hot Springs: :diablo:
Where you jump into 105 degree water to escape the 115 degree air temperature.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby ergot » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:57 am

CactusHugger: That may be true during the summer, but now that warm water would be a great way to take the chill off. It would be awesome to have a fully stocked RV and a couple weeks in March to spend at the Hot Springs. I know they make 4wd off-road ready RVs although they can be pretty pricey, but it would be the way to go and October through April would be the time to do it.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:47 am

What I hear is that North Pass has about a foot of snow and that there's little if any snow on the road through South Pass. A friend came out South Pass yesterday. He said a big boulder is on the side of the road, but it doesn't actually block the road. It's a great time of year to get out to Saline Valley!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CactusHugger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:51 am

Dead President Weekends coming up in a few weeks! Anyone planning on visiting Saline Valley? So far it looks like the passes will be open, but snow storms this time of year can shut things down real quick. MLK weekend coming up. Might be early, but might not be bad this year. Any thoughts?
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Hiking and Exploring