Frontier: NO SPEED INTERNET & Verizon: DO THEY EVEN TRY?

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Frontier - NO SPEED INTERNET

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:37 am

James Sel wrote:Have you ever research getting/using a dish to get on the net? I haven't in years. I heard it was pretty expensive and just stayed with the phone lines back then. It would seem that things are diff now? At my place Charter gives me about 20 download and 3 up for about $32.

Yeah. The problem with a dish is that they had a 30gb per month limit on bandwidth. After that the speed drops down to slower than dial up.

Straight talk just announced that they are selling an additional 5gb of bandwidth for 10 dollars per month when you use up your 5gb that comes with the phone. That's almost competitive with satellite as I recall.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:39 am

Net Neutrality Upheld, High Speed Internet is a Right!
Internet access is like a public utility such as electricity. It should be the same for everyone. Put some teeth in that and hold companies like Frontier accountable for failing to provide quality service and we just might have made some real progress.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:24 am

Frontier Backs AT&T's Lawsuit To Keep Google Fiber Out Of Louisville
The truth is that both AT&T and Frontier don't want to have to deal with competition because then they would no longer be able to over-charge for crappy service!
Several months later and Frontier has now filed a brief in support of AT&T's lawsuit (free registration required), despite the fact that the ISP doesn't even offer broadband service in Louisville or the state of Kentucky. Frontier's obviously just worried that the menacing specter of increased competition could spread into its territories, so like AT&T, the brief tries desperately to portray one-touch-make-ready rules as a huge threat to stable service.

LINK:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160701/06533834875/frontier-backs-ats-lawsuit-to-keep-google-fiber-out-louisville.shtml
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:24 pm

CactusHugger: I agree that both AT&T and Frontier charge way more than their services are worth, but based on everything I've heard Frontier provides crappier service. AT&T isn't what it should be, but Frontier is even worse. BTW, Verizon is about the same as AT&T for the most part. Rural areas get shafted by most companies and I'm surprised that the FCC doesn't do something about that.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:45 am

How to Combat the Frustration of Customer Service Phone Calls
As you've probably figured out by now, many times they make the experience as frustrating as possible to wear you down so that you just give up.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:13 am

Wow. It makes sense. I've spent way to many hours with customer service to be efficient. So they do it intentionally? I always thought that nobody can be that bad and still remain in business. So all this time it's been a conspiracy to make me frustrated?

Going to have to check out those apps. FastCustomer and LucyPhone next time instead of watching the sun rise and set or my fingernails grow. My internet was slow all weekend and even went out for a few hours but I didn't feel like calling so maybe their foul business tactics actually work...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:16 pm

surfsteve wrote:Wow. It makes sense. I've spent way to many hours with customer service to be efficient. So they do it intentionally? I always thought that nobody can be that bad and still remain in business. So all this time it's been a conspiracy to make me frustrated?

Going to have to check out those apps. FastCustomer and LucyPhone next time instead of watching the sun rise and set or my fingernails grow. My internet was slow all weekend and even went out for a few hours but I didn't feel like calling so maybe their foul business tactics actually work...

They make the customer service experience so difficult and frustrating that most people would rather just find something else to do when the internet goes out than call in and complain. That way they can claim that they receive very few customer service complaints and that you're just being unreasonable if you insist on receiving good service. After all, no one else is complaining!
:smack:
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Cell Phone Service in Trona Not Working

Postby surfsteve » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:05 am

Does anybody know what happened to the cell phones in Trona or when they will come back on? They haven't been working for several days. My phone seems to work everywhere but here.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Cell Phone Service in Trona Not Working

Postby wildrose » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:37 am

I've heard a few complaints, but no info on why. Probably the cell tower went down for some reason and will eventually be repaired. Maybe.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Cell Phone Service in Trona Not Working

Postby pcslim » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:37 am

Verizon outage map
At this time the Verizon Wireless outage map shows most of Los Angeles, Hesperia, Ridgecrest, and Trona as affected by the current outage.
LINK: http://downdetector.com/status/verizon/map/
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Local News