Tomatoes!

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Tomatoes!

Postby tronagirl » Thu May 14, 2015 8:17 am

surfsteve: The thing about automatic sprinkler systems is that they usually work pretty good for the first few years, but they start needing parts replaced and general maintenance after awhile. Most people let them go longer than they should and the repair costs just keep getting higher and higher and pretty soon a whole new system has to be put in to replace the old one. At least that's been the experience of several people I'm acquainted with.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Fri May 15, 2015 7:16 am

The number one reason automatic sprinkler systems fail is dirt in the lines. This usually happens when the system is built or when someone has repaired it. To prevent this you need to treat the system like it is an operating theater and dirt like a disease. Flushing the lines is a good idea but almost always leaves something in there that will eventually work it's way down and clog up a head or worse. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. All it takes is one grain of sand in an automatic valve to totally ruin your day.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:21 am

surfsteve: It's about time for an update on how the tomato crop did this summer. Was it a strong yield or did something happen to ruin the crop? Have you had much luck with peppers? I hear that hot weather can turn a mild pepper in to a hot one! Anyone else have any interesting summer gardening results to share?
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:26 am

In The Garden With Nick Federoff: How To Grow Tomatoes
Some great tips for maximizing your harvest! :thumb:
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CoolChick » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:57 am

twister: Next time I go shopping I'm buying some cherry tomato seeds. I swear I'm going to grow some tomatoes this summer and that they'll actually get to where they produce something. I've failed in the past, but this year will be different!
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby blackturtle.us » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:53 am

Unusual Varieties of Tomatoes
INCLUDING:
Bundaberg Rumball Dwarf
Amish Paste
Delicious
MORE INFO: http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Main_Page
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:53 am

Six Different Heirloom Tomatoes, and a little about them.
SHOWN IN THIS VIDEO: Belgium Giant, Brandywine Red, Russian Black Krim, Box Car Willie, Striped German, and Mortgage Lifter.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:39 am

In The Garden With Nick Federoff: All Things Tomato
Some great tips in this feature clip including info about split tomatoes.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CactusHugger » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Why a German lab is growing tomatoes in urine
If you think I'm eating one of those tomatoes, then URINE sane!!!
In his lab, there is plenty more urine swilling around – in vats, funnels and hoses. Most of the urine is artificial – mixed so the scientists know the exact chemical composition for their experiments – but some comes from human volunteers. The walls are lined with grey plastic drain pipes, attached to plastic boxes full of bubbling artificial urine. At the centre of the room, larger terracotta-coloured pipes rise from plastic barrels of urine.

LINK: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170308-why-a-german-lab-is-growing-tomatoes-in-urine
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:46 am

Grow Tomatoes NOT Foliage! :mad2:
These helpful tips might increase the likelihood of a bountiful harvest. Then again, maybe not, but it's worth a try!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Desert Gardening Tips