TJUSD Board Meeting - November 10, 2016

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

TJUSD Board Meeting - November 10, 2016

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:10 pm

The agenda for the meeting tonight was short and the duration of the meeting wasn't too great either. Here are the highlights:

1) Report on new class (Entrepreneurship / Auto Shop / Student Store) - A teacher and a student reported on activities being taken to develop a student store. Actually the presentation started out with the Entrepreneurship class (and auto shop activities) as the main focus, but it drifted towards the student store over the course of the presentation. Basically, it sounds like there are plans to run a student store and to sell t-shirts and school supplies decorated with Trona logos. Obviously this type of thing has been done (many times) in the past and has never had long-term success, but it nonetheless is an attractive idea to students filled with the entrepreneurial spirit. The student stated that $3000 would be all it would take to jumpstart the program.

2) Proposition 39 - Energy Efficiency Programs - The superintendent talked about funds available ($50k/year) to install more efficient lighting and controllers for coolers and heaters. At least two companies are developing bids for such upgrades. The possibility of installing solar energy panels is also being considered. Additionally, replacing old windows (single-pane, east-facing, installed in the 1940s) is also a likely upgrade planned for the future.

3) LCAP Community Meeting - This event will be held Tuesday evening at the elementary school. The agenda includes: 1) LCAP discussion and community input, 2) Presentation by motivational speaker, 3) Food including pulled pork sandwiches.

4) Public Comment: The cheer coach announced that the cheerleaders would be performing at the grand opening of the Super WalMart in Ridgecrest on November 16 (Wednesday). The performance will take place bright and early... I believe somewhere between 6:30 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.

5) FUTURE MEETINGS:
November 17th: Special meeting to ratify classified contract
December 8th: Next regular monthly meeting
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - November 10, 2016

Postby cactuspete » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:19 am

blackturtle.us wrote:1) Report on new class (Entrepreneurship / Auto Shop / Student Store) - A teacher and a student reported on activities being taken to develop a student store. Actually the presentation started out with the Entrepreneurship class (and auto shop activities) as the main focus, but it drifted towards the student store over the course of the presentation. Basically, it sounds like there are plans to run a student store and to sell t-shirts and school supplies decorated with Trona logos. Obviously this type of thing has been done (many times) in the past and has never had long-term success, but it nonetheless is an attractive idea to students filled with the entrepreneurial spirit. The student stated that $3000 would be all it would take to jumpstart the program.

$3000 to jumpstart the program? Are you kidding me? If the kid is so filled with the entrepreneurial spirit, then he should be able to do a series of fundraisers to demonstrate that he's capable of running a student store. The experience of building up from nothing would be good for him. Just handing over money to jumpstart a student store is like throwing money away. If it didn't work in the past when there were more kids at the school to sell stuff to, then why will it work now when there are so few kids? It doesn't take a genius to figure out the answer to that question!
:roll2:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:12 am

cactuspete wrote:
blackturtle.us wrote:1) Report on new class (Entrepreneurship / Auto Shop / Student Store) - A teacher and a student reported on activities being taken to develop a student store. Actually the presentation started out with the Entrepreneurship class (and auto shop activities) as the main focus, but it drifted towards the student store over the course of the presentation. Basically, it sounds like there are plans to run a student store and to sell t-shirts and school supplies decorated with Trona logos. Obviously this type of thing has been done (many times) in the past and has never had long-term success, but it nonetheless is an attractive idea to students filled with the entrepreneurial spirit. The student stated that $3000 would be all it would take to jumpstart the program.

$3000 to jumpstart the program? Are you kidding me? If the kid is so filled with the entrepreneurial spirit, then he should be able to do a series of fundraisers to demonstrate that he's capable of running a student store. The experience of building up from nothing would be good for him. Just handing over money to jumpstart a student store is like throwing money away. If it didn't work in the past when there were more kids at the school to sell stuff to, then why will it work now when there are so few kids? It doesn't take a genius to figure out the answer to that question!
:roll2:

Kids expect things to be handed to them for nothing nowadays. Once the free money runs out the kids will lose interest and nothing will have been accomplished. If you want a successful program, the kids have to work for it. Throw a lot of money at something and things will look good for maybe two years, but after that it'll die and there will be nothing to show for it. Sustainability is the issue here and it's not realistic to think that dreaming big is enough.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CactusHugger » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:45 pm

STUDENT STORE: Where I went to school they just sold stuff in the office and they had a student there during lunch so the secretary didn't have to deal with it. We could buy pencils, pens, paper, and a few other things. I heard it became too much of a hassle after a while and the school discontinued it a year or two after I left is what I heard. I only bought a couple pencils there the whole time I went to that school. I have no idea how they ran it or kept track of money and that sort of thing. I'm not even sure if any of the kids who ran it stole from the store, but I always felt like they probably did.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:44 am

Post Election Bullying in Schools
How do people get so emotionally caught up in an election between two clowns?
Thumbnail Image
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:43 am

panamint_patty wrote:Post Election Bullying in Schools

:shrug:
It was more like a TV reality show than a legitimate election. It was more of a spectacle than something respectable.
:upset:
This post election bullying is probably not very widespread and it's just the media making a big deal over almost nothing as usual.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby dilbert » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:11 am

Mom Kicks Boy Out of House - For Voting Trump in School Election
Bad parenting is incredibly common. It's better to discuss issues with kids than to attempt to force them to agree with you. The problem is that so many people do not have the mental capacity to discuss issues in an unemotional manner. Schools can only do so much. The apple does not fall far from the tree, as they say.
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby surfsteve » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:32 am

panamint_patty wrote:Post Election Bullying in Schools
Thumbnail Image

Good clown; evil clown?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:52 am

surfsteve wrote:Good clown; evil clown?

Not so much... more like two STUPID, STUPID clowns!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:01 am

True: But isn't being stupid a prerequisite for being a clown in the first place? The best clown is the box of rocks who knows the answer to the question, "Who is Aleppo?".
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Local News